PJ's Happenings

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Getting ready to go!

How hectic it is every time I get ready to leave! So many things to get done. I am really thrilled to be packing full sets of books to be taking to the children in the Mekoriyuk School on Nunivak. This is going to be a real adventure for us as we don't know how the Nuniwarmiuts live, eat, or dress.
I just pray the people accept us and don't mind us coming to see them. I am anxious for our time with be a joy to us all. As I have travel to many places in the world I have always worked hard to watch what is culturally acceptable to them and not to offend them in their ways. After all, we are the outsiders coming into their lives and homes. It is our responsibility to make ourselves aware of them and their ways. We Americans often think it is the other way around.
Today I will pack 50 sets of books, audio books, lesson guides and a few other things we plan on taking such as Star Bucks Coffee as I happen to know my dear Friend and collaborator for the past few years loves her Star Bucks. We have to see how much all this will weigh.
Mom and I are not in the greatest of health but we will not let that stop us. I walk with two Canadian crutches and she is 74 years old. We are still determined to get books into the hands of these children.
I will keep writing as this trip gets closer, if for no other reason than to keep my own thoughts and mind organized for what lies ahead!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home